Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Inference


Today, our lesson was on inference.  Since it still falls under the Language Arts category, I again used a children’s book.  “Animals Should Definitely Not Wearing Clothing” by Judi Barrett.  The students learned the new word well and were able to recall it at the end of class, although I think the actual process behind that concept is still a little fuzzy (but to be honest, it’s still fuzzy for me, too – even after all these years; it’s just a tricky concept.)  We made inferences about the book and inferences about each other’s movement.  I’d give the success of the experience a five out of ten.  The concepts were there and pretty well-received, but the class was a little off the wall.

Mrs. Findlay was at a meeting today, so the class had a substitute that didn't come along.  The class was so noisy today – talking, screaming, running around.  There are a few that try so hard and I just love them for it, but it's hard to acknowledge that when so much else is going on.  I worked hard to get them focused and bring them back in, but then as soon as I let them go back out or return to movement, they’re right back off again.  I couldn't get basic directions across, let alone the concepts of the day.  I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, or how to fix what I’m doing so that I can help them in classroom behavior.  My expectations are very clear, but I’m having a hard time enforcing them, since it’s not just one or two students.  It’s a high percentage of the class – maybe I just need to get up the guts to cancel the class and walk them all back to the room if they aren’t handling it well. 

I talked to Mrs. Findlay and we discussed the management skills she uses in the classroom and the signals the students are used to responding to, like hand claps, attention signals, and consequences for disobedience.  I will work to incorporate those into my own management so that it’s familiar for them.  I think this will be important for the students.  I also think it will be important to authenticate these weekly experiences for them so that they’re not just free reign play time.  It really helps to have Mrs. Findlay in the room, involved in what’s happening.  Having the teacher even sit in the room makes a world of difference. 

I think I’ve just been used to having dream classes that are thrilled to be having a lesson after having seen the company Kinnect perform in the morning.  They’re always excited and well-behaved.  I’m starting to see what it’s like to have a class get used to me as a regular teacher and have them really push me to see what they’ll get away with. 

I was much more familiar with my lesson plan today, so I was able to alter it as we went along when I could tell something just wasn’t going to work.  Unfortunately, I’ve gotten a little rusty and am using too much of my regular speech (mostly “guys” instead of “boys and girls” or “dancers”), so I’ll need to really be conscious about using better terms next week. 

We also started creating and performing today, which was an interesting experience.  We managed to get each group up and performing their own movement within the formula of ABA, but next week, we will certainly concentrate on dance concepts and work on creative movement and being comfortable with “dancing,” since there was a lot of unsure standing around, or disengaged running around in the process.  

Good thing there's next week to try again! :)

Favorite moment of the Day:
1.     “This is better than P.E!” whispered behind me on the way in.  Well, I sure hope so!  Dance is way better than P.E!  I’ve been saying that for years . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment